Microsoft regularly releases CRM Update Rollups (also sometimes referred to as service packs) to keep Microsoft Dynamics CRM running smoothly. These CRM Update Rollups fix known issues, provide enhancements and keep your system aligned with other changes in the Microsoft eco-system.
Some companies just have their IT Department install the CRM Updates without much preparation, and that can be a mistake.
Why? What can happen?
Top 5 Tips for rolling out your CRM Update Rollups
To prevent your company from experiencing post-installation issues, Dan strongly recommends that you:
- Know exactly what is changing within each Update Rollup. Microsoft tells you. Every time. You just have to read it!
- Never fall more than 2 versions behind.
- Understand and follow Microsoft and MCA Connect prescribed policies and best practices for releasing the updated system into your live production environment.
- Have a plan. In fact, you need at least 3 plans:
- A Testing Plan
- A Communications Plan &
- A Deployment Plan
Dan gives you a step-by-step outline of what you need to do, including what to do when your testing fails and you have to start over.
- Develop and rigorously follow your testing matrix. This matrix can be used again-and-again and will prevent headaches and stress down the road.
Not all CRM Update Rollups are created equal
Some update rollups are minor and can move into production quickly. Others take more time and consideration, especially if you have customizations and/or ISV extensions to your Microsoft Dynamics CRM application. But following this same process every time is always a good idea.