- Identify your business pain points. What are the specific problems that CRM will solve for your company? Gather insight from multiple people. Having clear objectives will help create the business case and also help identify key success factors for your CRM application.
- Document your current processes. To make the most of your consultant’s time get your processes documented; these include roles, tasks, checklists, responsibilities, hand-offs, approvals, decision points, deviations etc. This exercise will not only help architect an application that meets all of your business requirements, but it also helps you identify any process gaps and improvement opportunities before your consulting partner is engaged.
- Get employees engaged and excited. It is vital to have all your key internal stakeholders identified and engaged before your CRM project begins. These stakeholders include, subject matter experts (SMEs), project sponsor, project champion, super-user candidates etc. If you’d like to go a step further, you could also provide your consultant with a hierarchical organization chart of all the potential CRM users.
- Understand your technology tools and touchpoints. Every business functions on a multitude of tools that are used to capture data. The most common tools are Excel, Access, shared drives etc. By taking stock of all the current tools and what they are used for, you will have a clearer picture of where you need to create integrations and what tools can be retired/replaced.
- Clean up your data. Data is the life blood of your business. Keeping data clean is vital for your reports and actions and helps you make informed business decisions. Starting to clean up your data before you migrate it to a CRM application will help you derive return on investment from day 1.
These five simple steps will give you clear visibility of your business and good grip of your data but most importantly, it’ll help you achieve a successful CRM implementation keeping it on time, in budget and effective.
Want to learn how you can drive company sales through CRM? Download our FREE guide 10 Direct Ways CRM Helps You Grow Company Sales!
Author: Nawal Mohsina
Principal Consultant, MCA Connect