In 1977, ERP software was called MRP software, which stood for Material Requirements Planning.
At the time, most MRP software was custom developed on big mainframe computer systems that were expensive to build and maintain. Seeing the opportunity for packaged software solutions, companies like Lawson, JD Edwards, and Oracle were founded around this time.
The SQL server relational database had yet to be invented.
What else was happening in 1977?
- The Dow Jones industrial average was 831.
- Gas was 65 cents a gallon.
- Star Wars become the biggest summer movie blockbuster of all time. The camera George Lucas used to film Star Wars is less powerful than the cameras most people have on their smart phones today.
- Atari introduced the Atari 2600 video game system, which didn’t become popular until Space Invaders was introduced in 1980.
- The first all-in one personal computer, the Commodore PET, was introduced. It had just 4 kilobytes of memory.
- Apple II computers were also released in 1977, also with just 4 kilobytes of memory.
ERP Software has been re-invented.
The technology landscape has changed dramatically over the last 40 years. Internet. Email. Mobile Phones. ERP software has changed too, but some of the older ERP software programs are still built on decades-old code, and use out-of-date business processes.
Just in the last YEAR, the cost of cloud storage has decreased significantly. Today’s modern ERP systems like Dynamics 365 are in the cloud, connected, providing greater supply chain visibility and nearly real-time insight through predictive analytics and machine learning.
Re-invent your business.
You have an opportunity to re-invent your business with a Dynamics 365 Implementation! Add more innovation to your products. Add new services. Streamline efficiency.
Not sure where to start? Contact us through our Business Transformation team about your business goals and ideas. We’ll show you how to align your people, processes and technology for maximum advantage!Other articles you might be interested in: